Friday, July 17, 2009

On...The Moon (Ever Again?)


Space: Reality vs. Fantasy

Charles Krauthammer dedicated his latest editorial to the 4oth Moon Anniversary that is rapidly coming up and he got me to thinkin'. I have to agree with him. It is sad that so many Americans have become ho-hum regarding space travel and the potential glories that exist beyond our own planet. I can't tell you how many students (a least six a year) who insist the US government faked the moon-landings. It is pretty frustrating. I imagine there is a small (and annoying) minority in this country who believe the same thing. Thanks a lot Fox!

I also wish President Obama would embrace a new interest in space travel and all its possibilities. I would think it a tragedy if we abandoned the lead to China or India. Many wags lament the decline of American engineering and innovation (though this is certainly over-exageraged). What better way than the rigor and challenge of space? of a moon base? of the exploration of Mars? I would love to live long enough to see humans on Mars. And for it to be an American crew would be better yet. I'm just not sure that's going to happen at this pace.

So as our youth and country are obsessed with fantasy and science-fiction (see TV, Comic books, Summer Movies) they are barely turned on about the science-reality staring them in the face. I don't know where the fault lies but hopefully we can come up with a solution.

Suggestions?

No comments: