Monday, March 30, 2009

FILM REVIEW: Duplicity


FILM REVIEW: Duplicity

Perhaps it was the sorta-low expectations I had going into the film that allowed me to really enjoy this movie. People had said it was confusing and had too many flashbacks, etc. These people are nuts. I guess if you're too interested in your super-large soda and burlap sack full of popcorn to turn your brain on then, yes, maybe it is confusing. But if you pay attention you will not only following what is going on you will be challenged. Yes, a few thinks don't totally make sense but by no means did it detract.

Tony Gilroy (Michael Clayton) has written a well-plotted and witty script and infused it with a dash of old fashioned wordplay. I'm usually not a big Julia Roberts fan but she was quite good. I feel her maturity is a plus. It fits her. As for Clive Owen, he is one of my favorite actors. And only Daniel Craig can pull off the finely cut clothing they cover him in. I was watching the film and thinking how much I just want to have his wardrobe. Together they have real chemistry.

Tom Wilkinson and Paul Giamatti both have crafty roles and chew on the slick dialogue with panache. They play rival corporate CEOs. Rivals puts it lightly. These guys HATE each other. They drive the plot. Roberts and Owen also play rivals, ex-spooks who now are hired by corporations to screw each other over. It plays well.

There are a few spots in the film, near the end, when the film seems to lose steam and you're not sure where it is going. However, it only lasts for a minute and events come into focus.

I highly recommend Duplicity.
RATING: 8 out of 10

No comments: