Friday, December 19, 2008

On...The Best Music of 2008



The Best Music of 2008
Brought to you by Snow Day and The Sleeping Claires

Here is my List of the Top 40 songs of
2008
Many of the songs might be new to you so you can spend hours listening to some great tunes on ITunes or Napster or Amazon or wherever. Granted the list is a bit heavy on Alternative, Rock, Indie/College Rock, with a little Electronic, Folk, and Pop mixed in but that's what I like.

Please email me or post any comments or songs that would make your list. I post a collection of them (if I get any.)

40) Grafton Street by Dido
39) Signs by Bloc Party
38) AEIOU by Charlotte Sometimes
37) Black & Gold by Sam Sparro
36) Spiraling by Keane
35) Lucid Dreams by Franz Ferdinand
34) Runaway by Ladytron
33) I'm not going to Teach your Boyfriend how to Dance by The Black Kids
32) I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry
31) Mercy by Duffy
30) Darlin' Don't You Fear by Brent Dennen
29) It's Amazing by Jem
28) Buildings and Mountains by The Republic of Tigers
27) Falling Down by Oasis
26) Detroit by Black Gold
25) Black River Killer by Blitzen Trapper
24) Night Reconnaissance by The Dresden Dolls
23) Id Engager by Of Montreal
22) Mykonos by Fleet Foxes
21) In a Cave by Toyko Police Club
20) Go On, Say It by Blind Pilot
19) Highly Suspicious by My Morning Jacket
18) Into the Summer Sky by the Smoking Popes
17) We Won't Break by Zoot Woman
16) Funplex by the B-52s
15) The World Should Revolve Around Me by Little Jackie
14) Waiting for a War by The Morning Benders
13) My Mistakes Were Made for You by The Last Shadow Puppets
12) Shut Up and Let Me Go by The Ting-Tings
11) Ready for the Floor by Hot Chip

and the Top 10

10) Light & Music by Cut Copy
9) Human by The Killers
8) Flame by Bell X1
7) You Don't Know Me by Ben Folds and Regina Spektor
6) You, Me, & The Bourgeoisie by The Submarines
5) Olympic Airwaves by The Foals
4) Song We Sang Away by Low vs. Diamond
3) I'm Good, I'm Gone by Lykke LI
2) The Geeks Were Right by The Faint
1) Old Enough by The Raconteurs

BEST 5 ALBUMS

Though I believe this is a dying concept, since most people just buy singles now, I will list my Top 5 Albums of the year, which is certainly saying something because it is rare for an entire album to rock.

5) My Morning Jacket: Evil Urges
A really unique blend of old school rock and eclectic new wave pop. A few songs are duds but overall it is bold edition.
4) The Killers: Human The glam boys of Vegas are back and they don't disappoint. Perhaps not as dynamic as their last couple of outings, but a fine listen.
3) Bell X1: Flock I listened to their single Rocky Took a Lover all year, but it wasn't until a week ago that I got a hold of the whole album. The best late year surprise by far.
2) Charlotte Sometimes: Waves And Both Of Us Best pure pop album of the year. She's only nineteen or there about, but she has fine ear for sound. Should be bigger than Katy Perry, but there is no justice in the world of pop music. Solid album from track one to track twelve.

1) Death Cab for Cutie: Narrow Stairs Hands down the best full album of the year. Yes, I have a soft spot for DCFC but they came through. I had high expectations for Ben Folds, Kaiser Chiefs, and Keane, but they all disappointed. DCFC nailed it. Give it a few listens. Once I warmed up it was on high rotation on my listening schedule.

And a few side notes.

  • Best Rediscovered Song: Venice is Sinking by Spirit of the West. I loved this song in college and played it a lot on the Guten Morgen Morgen Show on 87.1 WIDR FM. But I could never find it and my brain forgot the title. Luckily 93.9 The River played it two months ago and I heard it. It is a beautiful song.
  • Best Discovered Classical Music: Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. Upon listening to it I would never would have thought it was from the 1870s. Really magnificent and a bit haunting. Beautiful work from a tragic man.
  • Best Song on a Cold Night Roasting Marshmallows: Flame by Bell X1. Just listen to this cool song and you'll understand.
  • Biggest Disappointment: Ben Folds; Way to Normal. Only a couple of songs are really good. I'm still shocked.
  • Weirdest Euro Video (Yes, the still produce videos): I'm Good, I'm Gone by Lykke Li. Just have to see it. SEE HERE
  • Best Baroque Reissue: Joshua Bell and The Academy of St. Martin of the Fields and Vivaldi's Four Season. A fine recording for those Vivaldi fans.
I'll post my Best Films of the Year in a few days and anyone's recommendations. Later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How do you feel about MGMT? Thought they might have made the list.