Sunday, October 5, 2008

On...100 Years of Futility


100 Years of Futility

Well, there's no joy in Chi-town or anywhere else lurks a forsaken Cubs fan. After obtaining the best record in the National League and securing their second straight Central Division title, the 2008 version of the Chicago Cubs have been swept out of the playoffs. Being at Wrigley Field this summer there seemed to be a sense that this year might be different. We could do it. Lesson learned.

That lingering sensation was hope and for better or worse it springs eternal. There's the ancient cliche of wait till next year. Well, it's tough to wait until next year. Actually its quite tedious. I've loved the Cubs for a long time, but now after your heart is broken for so long and the years blend and fade together there really can't quite be the same longing. (1984, 1989, 1998, 2003, 2007, 2008 all failed attempts to even get to the World Series during my lifetime.) And now they have lost 9 straight playoff games dating back to 2003 when they were up 3-1 on the Marlins and needed only one more win to reach the Series. Nothing but blundering baseball since.

I for one didn't feel like this was the year. Yes, the Cubs played really well and it was the arbitrary 100 years since the last championship but it didn't seem to be in the cards. I wasn't even that excited about the prospect of the playoffs this year like I was for the Indians last year. There was a lack of passion in my soul or the dead-eye stare of people who have been through all this before. It was like a date with an ex-girlfriend that you know is just going to turn out bad.

So the Cubs fell apart, dismantled by the Trolley Dodgers (LA-style) and their own ineptitude (walks, errors, no timely hitting, you know stuff that wins championships). There wasn't even time to get excited. 100 years for the Cubs, 60 for the Indians. How on earth did I get put in this position? I have to make sure my daughter roots for a team that actually wins it all once in a lifetime.

Time to pull the plug

I've said it before and I stand by it now. There should be a clause in Major League Baseball that says if you can't win a championship ONE TIME in 100 years then you need to pack up the franchise and put it on the shelf. That's it for the Cubs. I've loved them since I've been 8 and cried on the deacon's bench out front of my parents house when they lost game 5 against the Padres in '84, but enough's enough. Put the Cubs in Cooperstown, keep Wrigley Field, and start anew. New colors, new history, new mascot. The Chicago Grays or The Chicago Americans or The Chicago Riot, anything. Start over. Most Cubs fans will disagree with this blasphemy and it will never happen but I think it needs to be considered. The Cubs and their curse or whatever should be banished to the dustbin of history. It is time to move on, really.

So until next year, Go Cubbies.

No comments: